Neapolitan Christmas Eve Spaghetti with Walnuts

by Kristin on December 20, 2012

We’ve been hosting my in-laws for Christmas dinner — and Christmas Eve, and St. Stephen’s Day, and usually one or two more days besides — for years now, which means I spend a lot of my time happily wearing a path between the stove, sink and fridge in the days before and after Christmas Day itself. But in that busy week before the main event, when I’m feeling overwhelmed with shopping lists or last-minute presents or the cards I always procrastinate about writing, or when I’d rather be baking some cookies than fussing too much over dinner, I just want to put something on the table without too much effort or expense. And if it can be something that’s still in keeping with the holidays, like this recipe, then even better. As much as there’s nowhere I’d rather be than my kitchen, sometimes a quick, simple supper can feel like a gift.

Neapolitan Christmas Eve Spaghetti with Walnuts (U Spaghetti’ Anatalina)
adapted from Eat Like an Italian by Catherine Fulvio

Serves 4

This recipe comes from Catherine Fulvio’s latest book, Eat Like an Italian. Catherine says, “During the weeks before Christmas, wonderful fresh walnuts arrive in the shops. This was a recipe for ‘poor folks’ and it illustrates how Italians respect their ingredients.”

1 lb (450 g) spaghetti
1/2 cup (125 ml) good-quality extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, very finely sliced
6 tinned anchovies, drained and roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups (150 g) walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, to garnish

Put a large pot of salted water on to boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.

Meanwhile, gently heat the oil in a large saucepan (one that’s big enough to also hold all the cooked pasta later) over a low heat. Add the sliced garlic and cook for 1 minute, taking care not to burn the garlic or it will turn bitter and ruin the dish. Add the anchovies and cook for a few minutes more, stirring until they dissolve in the oil.

Reserve a mugful of the cooking water, then drain the pasta and add it directly to the sauce in the pan. Stir in some of the cooking liquid to loosen the pasta and return to the heat. Stir through the walnuts and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes, then season to taste. Divide the pasta between 4 plates or shallow pasta bowls and garnish with the parsley.

Email this post Email this post Print this post Print this post

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

Jackie December 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

Delish! I’m the only one in my family who likes nuts in cooked food (e.g. pasta with pine nuts, kung pao chicken, etc.)–so occasionally I will prepare a dish such as this pour moi.

Peggy December 23, 2012 at 6:47 pm

I love meals that scream simplicity like this one does! Plenty of time to spend with family and friends while not fussing too much over the stove =)

Kristin January 2, 2013 at 4:20 pm

You hit the nail on the head there, Peggy!

Kristin January 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm

More nuts for you then, Jackie! ;)

Sara Jessica January 9, 2013 at 11:32 am

I looove nuts in cooked food, I also love raisins with cooked rice.

wellbelovedsong.blogspot.nl June 2, 2014 at 11:13 am

One of the adore-detest features of FaceTime is that you
can only carry out a video clip contact more than Wi-Fi.
One of the most well-liked video games has been available on the Android Market for fairly sometime now.

pencil portrait drawing lessons June 2, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Here are a few standard principles while pulling a face
to observe. When possible, have your client send you many pictures
of the niche, including some shut-ups. It takes somewhat prep, in fact.

kik for pc free download for windows xp June 4, 2014 at 3:54 am

It is approximated WhatsApp has in between 300 – five hundred million customers.
The primary materials is still using plastic dove on the entrance
and a rubberized plastic on the back.

watch movies online June 12, 2014 at 1:42 pm

The daddy is away attempting to build an income. You begin finding benefits
for each 40 credits you earn. Walt says he left anything for him,
and Jesse walks towards the door to find out a big
black case on his doorstep.

provitex.pokomi.ru June 13, 2014 at 8:11 am

For unlock, it refers to the process to start your iPhone
to permit all carriers. Among most of the Apple iPhones I’ll advise one
to choose the newest iPhone4 comes in two
variants ie.

Anthony June 13, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Following that’s done, a “No SIM card set up” error will
pop up, that’s Okay. If it’s not for you, you nearly certainly know somebody who it is for.
You will just need to choose the kind of filter,
and you will want to choose “user”.

sleep deprived June 27, 2014 at 2:53 pm

I couldn’t resist commenting. Very well written!

top cydia sources list August 26, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Each choices are developed to stop someone from utilizing a
lost gadget by remotely locking the device.
It could mean that both your iPhone is not functioning properly as it’s intended to be
or totally not working.

cloud.dreamings.org September 11, 2014 at 12:30 pm

They have been restored to new but can’t be sold as new.
So it’s much better to make backup of all your essential information so that you can use them further also.

Now you should be thinking that what is cydia?

tax news September 24, 2014 at 4:54 am

I am truly delighted to glance at this web site posts which consists of lots
of useful facts, thanks for providing such data.

nike blazers men October 2, 2014 at 8:09 am

Optimize the performance of your web applications with AgileLoad.
Build alll your load test scenarios for free. Agileload includes performance monitoring from the most
advaanced technologies with no extra costs.

increase dropbox space free October 8, 2014 at 8:03 am

Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google,
and found that it is truly informative. I am gonna watch out for brussels.
I will be grateful if you continue this in future.
Many people will be benefited from your writing.

Cheers!