Double Chocolate Loaf with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread

by Kristin on June 7, 2011

Every time my husband and I play the lotto (which is hardly ever), we convince ourselves we’re going to win it. We usually only buy a ticket when the jackpot is huge after rolling over a few times, but we don’t let the decreased odds stand in the way of our daydreaming. We’ll pay off our student loans! We’ll build an extension on our house! Hell, we’ll knock down the house and just build a bigger and better one! You get the idea.

Well, I might not have won the lotto, but I did get a visit from the Fairy Hobmother after entering the contest over at Eat Like a Girl’s blog. And while I didn’t get a big ticket prize like a new food processor, I did get an Amazon gift certificate, which is always a well-received present for this professional bookworm. I promptly put it to good use on a few cookbooks from my wish list, one of which was Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented. I can’t wait to make Mississippi Mud Pie, New York Style Crumb Cake, Quick Skillet Snack Cake, Burnt Sugar Bundt Cake with Caramel Rum Frosting, Heartland Turtle Bars, Buckeyes … the list goes on and on (and on). But first up was this Double Chocolate Loaf with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread.

Double Chocolate Loaf with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Spread
adapted from Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito

Makes one 9 x 5-inch loaf

The authors suggest slicing this and eating it plain, or toasting it and spreading with a bit of butter, cream cheese or, of course, this peanut butter cream cheese spread. They also say this loaf is wonderful with coffee and the morning newspaper. Chocolate cake for breakfast? I like their style.

For the loaf:
3/4 cup (120 g) firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups (180 g) flour
1 cup (120 g) dark unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (I used Green & Blacks)
3/4 cup (150 g) granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
3/4 cup (180 ml) buttermilk
1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 oz (225 g) good-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped

For the peanut butter cream cheese spread:
5 oz (140 g) cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup (75 g) sugar

Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C) and position the rack in the center of the oven. Butter a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, dust it with flour and knock out the excess flour.

Place the brown sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Press out any lumps with the back of a large spoon. Add the flour, cocoa, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk until blended, then add the buttermilk, oil and vanilla and whisk until combined.

Turn the mixer to low and slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined (don’t overmix!). Stir in the dark chocolate chunks by hand.

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Meanwhile, to make the peanut butter spread, beat the cream cheese and peanut butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until incorporated. If you aren’t using the spread immediately, place it in a ramekin, tightly cover it with cling film and it will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Serve the loaf plain or toasted, topped with the peanut butter spread. The loaf will keep in an airtight container or wrapped tightly at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Email this post Email this post Print this post Print this post

{ 49 comments… read them below or add one }

Leah June 7, 2011 at 7:25 am

Oh I do hope you plan to make those other desserts that you listed as well, but in the meantime this looks just divine!

And if the Fairy Hobmother were to visit me, I would for sure buy Jamie Oliver’s granite mortar and pestle as I’ve been eyeing it up for quite some time now…

Móna Wise June 7, 2011 at 8:42 am

Ah the fairy hob mother……….I could write a very long list of tools and toys that I would like to have magically appear in my kitchen.
Looks like a nice rich cake! Hope all is well,
Móna

Naomi June 7, 2011 at 10:26 am

Cake looks great. Does it cut well? As I find that really dense chocolate cakes crumble when you slice them.
Dear Fairy Hobmother since I have just broken my Kenwood mini chopper making bread crumbs I would love a replacement because making dips in a big food processor is just too much hard work!

likemamusedtobake June 7, 2011 at 10:51 am

Thanks so much for posting the recipe Kirstie, although I’m not sure it’s the kind of thing I should bake on a Tuesday morning. :) Did you take that photo or is it from the book? It’s a really beautiful pic.

If the fairy hob mother were to visit me I would love a new macro lens for my camera or failing that a new cookbook would make me just as happy.

Sharon Ní Chonchúir June 7, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Peanut butter cream cheese spread – heaven!
I’ve got lots of things on my Amazon wishlist – mostly cookbooks to be honest – but right at the top at the moment is Miss Marmite’s Supperclub book. I simply have to have it!

Catherine June 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I wouldn’t need much convincing to eat this for breakfast! I think I’d use a voucher to complete my Penguin Great Food collection – I’m hooked.

TheGlutton June 7, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Kristin that pic is fab!! The loaf looks deliciously moist and dense. Congrats on the Fairy Hobmother visit :) I think if I were lucky enough I would have to choose between a tripod for my camera or some new baking tins.

mammyskitchen June 7, 2011 at 5:46 pm

That cake looks absolutely delicious!

If the Fairy Hobmother were to pay me a visit, I’d love a copy of Leon: Ingredients & Recipes by Allegra McEvedy or indeed a microplane grater. Either of which I’d be absolutely delighted with :)

Elle June 7, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I clicked over because that cake and the spread were calling to me! It’s so dark and chocolatey looking. Gorgeous.

An Amazon gift card? Hmmm, most likely some summertime page-turner. And for me, a cookbook is a page-turner. :)

Gillian June 7, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Yes this I could have for breakfast, elevenses, lunch!

I’d buy Fine Chocolates: Great Experience by Jean-Pierre Wybauw. ~I can never have enough chocolate books and this one is now top of my list!

Allison June 7, 2011 at 10:30 pm

i have the birthdays of a few family members coming up, so i would spend it on them.

Amy Jackson June 8, 2011 at 2:03 am

I would buy a rice cooker or a super duper blender that would make great smoothies.

Babaduck June 8, 2011 at 8:33 pm

So many things to buy… I’d love a new fridge freezer or an SLR camera (can’t say a new one because I don’t have one at all!). Books : I’d love The Silver Spoon & everything Julia Child has written

The Teenage Taste June 8, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Mmmmmm…that chocolate loaf looks heavenly! Like chocolate cake you can eat for breakfast! Yum! :-D

lindsey June 10, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Oh man, lots of selection out there. I think that any Amazon credit would go towards a new juicer!

Emily June 10, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Ah, the list would be long! I’d love a few new, strong baking tins and I’ve always wanted to get a Silpat. And definitely a copy of Plate to Pixel, please!

Brooke (The Flour Sack) June 10, 2011 at 4:08 pm

You mentioned the Mississippi Mud Pie… Might I mention that it is ABSOLUTELY THE BEST CHOCOLATE DESSERT EVER!? Seriously. I am completely addicted to it. You’ve got to try it next. I’m going to be posting it on my blog soon. :) This loaf has been on my to-do list from their book, too. Maybe this is my sign that I’ve got to try it next. :)

corbie June 10, 2011 at 6:13 pm

came by way of T. Spotting and the loaf looks yummy! i can’t wait to try these recipes! hmmm, depending on how large a gift cert: a pink Kitchenaid mixer, every green Crueset piece i could, knives by Fieri, and an apple laptop or tablet for the kitchen ;D

Katherine June 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm

That cake looks delicious!

I’d buy… Probably the Tartine Bakery books, or one of the many cookbooks I’ve been eyeing for a while.

ally June 11, 2011 at 3:45 am

I would get my hands on a nice le creuset oven :)

Cheryl Newton June 11, 2011 at 5:58 am

If I won an Amazon.com gift certificate, I would choose either an attachment for my KA stand mixer (maybe the non-coated paddle attachment) or a pretty Fiesta bowl so I could have fruit sitting out on the counter.

Eliza J. June 11, 2011 at 7:17 am

I really want a heart shaped waffle maker, so cheesy yet to fun! This loaf looks outta control! x

Bebe June 11, 2011 at 12:11 pm

I would use the gift certicate for cookbooks, or a new food processor!!!

Katie June 11, 2011 at 12:45 pm

ooo this looks so good…There is so much I would love to buy, including cookbooks that I have been longing for, but I really love memoirs that feature recipes. I think I would buy a new journal so that I could start my own!

sunny June 11, 2011 at 1:01 pm

totally want to – and will, WILL – make this loaf!
re: what to buy – possibilities are endless! to narrow the scope to cooking, i’ll say a pressure cooker :)

Martha in KS June 11, 2011 at 1:28 pm

I found some pink & purple knives on Amazon that really need to be in my kitchen – perfect for cutting & smearing your chocolate loaf! YUM!

Taylor June 11, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Oh my this bread looks delicious!! And there is no better combo than PB and chocolate…Yum! I want fairy hobmother to bring me a new food processor…I need one badly since mine had a run in with the dishwasher and the dishwasher won…

Fi June 11, 2011 at 2:50 pm

You are the second person this week to rave about the “Baked Explorations” book. So, I would have to purchase that…..and a Cookie Craft book……!

Mary in Indy June 11, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Ooooohhh! Will have to make this recipe! If I received a G.C. from the Fairy Hobmother I would buy TONS of mini bundt pans! These are my new obsession and I just bought (from Amazon.com, of course) Kiss My Bundt by Chrysta Wilson and loving it! I only have 2 mini bundt pans and hate soaking and washing them over and over while baking! Blessings!

Julia June 11, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Oh, that chocolate loaf looks unbelievably good! As for the Fairy Hobmother, I have a deep need for a new scale to replace the one I had for almost 20 years before it went kaput!

Cathy B. June 11, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Yum! That looks delicious! If I won an Amazon gift certificate, I would buy cookbooks–I have a whole bunch sitting in my cart right now! Or, maybe a light for taking better photos. Hmmm…so many possibilities! But, realistically, the cookbooks would probably win out. Thanks for the giveaway!

Vic Burnham June 11, 2011 at 6:25 pm

I have 4 cookbooks on my Amazon wish list that I would buy.

dallimomma June 11, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I’m afraid chocolate loaf for breakfast would ruin me for the rest of the day. But so worth it!

I think I would purchase an electric roaster with a gift certificate from Amazon. Doing a lot of catering lately and one more sure would help.

Allison C June 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm

My wishlist on Amazon is so huge it is hard to single anything out. I guess if I wanted one thing right now it would be a kitchen torch. There have been so many smores recipes online that I’m dying to make them. It is probably the closest I will get to a real campfire treat living in the city. I’m so glad you made this recipe as I have been eyeing it for a while and you reminded me I should make it soon. Don’t wait too long on making the buckeyes…they are awesome!

Elizabeth Wheeler June 11, 2011 at 11:43 pm

In the following order, I would like:
I am banned from buying any more cook books (full stop, no question about it), but the baked explorations book sounds might be sneaked in the door in a school bag or something;
a new cooker hob with 5th ring;
a jam thermometer;
a new le creuset griddle;
an ice cream maker;
a new boning knife of superior quality
I will stop now! Nice chocolate bread, my boys would love that!

alohacookiegirl June 12, 2011 at 12:35 am

My Amazon Wish List and Cart are ALWAYS full! At the top of the now are the Baked Exlporations book and Sarabeth’s Bakery (love her jams!)

Your first recipe from Baked Explorations looks like a winner!

Debbie June 12, 2011 at 5:24 am

My chocaholic teenager daughter is going to love this recipe! As for the Amazon GC–I would love to have a new food processor–mine is a very cheap one from WalMart that I have had for years & I rarely use it because it moves around too much on the counter while in use.

Cheryl June 12, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I have that book…but haven’t looked at it in a while…must make this…looks Delicious!!
I would loooooove a kitchen scale from the nice Fairy:)

Carolyn June 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Cake looks delicious! With an Amazon gift certificate, I would buy an ice cream maker and Mark Bittman’s The Best Recipes in the World.

Lisa @ Sweet as Sugar Cookies June 13, 2011 at 1:24 am

I would probably use it to buy this cookbook too since I’ve had my eye on it for a while.

Elana June 13, 2011 at 10:19 am

I’d treat me and the hubs…since he’s just started knitting, I’d get him an Elizabeth Zimmerman book and I’d get me the newer Debbie Bliss. And maybe throw in Donal Skehan’s new book as well….

Sheila Kiely June 13, 2011 at 10:23 am

..it’s not a kitchen essential, but if I had a voucher I would splurge on a pasta maker – roller thingy… and probably be sorry when the kids get at it :)

JoannaSchaff June 13, 2011 at 11:16 am

That cake looks amazing Kristin! I’ve been working my way through the chocolate cake section of Nigella’s Feast, all very moist, rich & terribly wicked!

If I had an amazon voucher I think it would have to go towards a fancy camera, probably one of the Canon DSLRs or maybe on buying up all the odds & ends on my wishlist. It’s terrible when you have too much choice for these things!

Peggy June 13, 2011 at 1:33 pm

What a great cake!! What could I not buy with an amazon voucher?!!depending on the amount I course my first choice would be a magimix 5200xl food processor.if not there is a million book waiting to be purged in my wish list!!!

Lily Ramirez-Foran June 13, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I’d buy the rest of the Diana Kennedy books on Mexican Food!! She’s awesome!!

Definitely will try this recipe of chocolate cake and peanut butter spread!! Yum!

Orla June 13, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Oh that cake looks delish. Delish I say!
I think that Amazon credit would have to go towards a new decent food processor. Preferably a magimix.

Holly June 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I’ve been eyeing this recipe in that cookbook for some time now. Nice to see a write-up!

As for Amazon – oh, how I long for some nice knives.

carrie June 29, 2011 at 7:51 pm

That chocolate looks so decadent. Would go great with some peanut butter ice cream i made a couple months ago. Love it!

Kristin July 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Carrie, this would be fantastic with peanut butter ice cream – but then again, what wouldn’t be fantastic with peanut butter ice cream?